Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: What is ICCRC, and what is it for?

A: ICCRC stands for Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council. ICCRC is a not-for-profit organization that regulates the practice of Immigration Consultants in Canada. Registered members of the ICCRC offer immigration services and advice for a fee. They can appear as a representative on behalf of their client with Citizenship and Immigration Canada, The Immigration and Refugee Board, or the Canada Border Service Agency.

Q: Are ICCRC Consultants the only individuals qualified to assist me with my application?

A: Only some people can charge a fee or receive any other type of payment to represent or advise you on a Canadian immigration proceeding or application. These are: ​

  • Immigration consultants (ICCRC) who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.
  • Lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society,
  • Notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec ​

Anyone who gives you paid advice before you apply or start a proceeding must be authorized. Unauthorized people must either become authorized or refer you to someone who is. If you pay a representative, they must be authorized if they:

  • Act on your behalf during an immigration proceeding by speaking for you,
  • Help you choose the best immigration stream or
  • Fill out any forms.

Q: Is it possible for me to do my own immigration application processing? CIC claims the guides are self-explanatory, why should I hire a consultant?​

A: You do not need to hire an immigration representative if you do not to wish to. However, Immigration consultants are experts in their field. Immigration consultants provide services to individuals seeking help to navigate through immigration issues in Canada. This may include obtaining advice or assistance with permanent residence applications, temporary residence and visa applications, or refugee claims.

Consultants ensure that documents and forms appropriately are handled furthermore, they provide immigrants, hopeful visitors and habitants of Canada with help in properly submitting their applications and guide them through the various processes. Immigration Consultants provide valuable services to would-be users of the Canadian Immigration System. These are often persons residing in foreign countries who are hoping to come to Canada in some legal capacity or persons residing in Canada with unstable or unofficial status.

These individuals are often vulnerable, as they may:

  • Have limited ability to communicate in or understand written or spoken English or French
  • Have limited ability to understand Canadian immigration laws and the Canadian immigration system
  • Have limited understanding of the role of immigration consultants and their restrictions and/or abilities
  • Be under duress or in stressful situations, especially those applying for refugee status

Q: I’m a permanent resident/citizen. Can I “sponsor” my friend/siblings/parent?

A: A Permanent Resident or Citizen who is 18 years old and above may sponsor his/her spouse, common law / conjugal partner, dependent children, parents and grandparents

Q: Can you help me find work in Canada?

A: No. Lifeline International is an Immigration Consulting Company and NOT a Recruitment Agency.

Q: I’m an American citizen/permanent resident. Can I apply for Canadian citizenship/permanent residence?

A: Yes. Just like any other foreign national, you have to go through the immigration process.